Join The Heart Truth on National Wear Red Day to help spread the critical message that "Heart Disease Doesn't Care What You Wear - It's the #1 Killer of Women. Everyone can participate in the national movement by wearing their favorite red dress, shirt, tie, or Red Dress Pin today.
Ten Commandments for a Healthy Heart
1. Know your risk factors for heart disease.
2. Talk to your doctor about reducing your risk of heart disease.
3. Have your blood pressure checked regularly.
4. Know your cholesterol numbers.
5. Have your blood sugar level checked for diabetes.
6. Do NOT smoke cigarettes or use other tobacco products.
7. Eat for your heart health.
8. Get regular physical activity - at least 30 minutes on most or all days of the week.
9. Aim for a healthy weight.
10. Know the signs and symptoms of a heart attack and the importance of seeking medical help immediately.
In September of 2008 by daughter, age 37, and I, age 61, were diagonosed with a heart disease, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is a significant cause of sudden unexpected death in any age group. I lost my two brothers from this same disease, one at age 20 and the other at age 42. Let me urge you to see your doctor if you have the any signs of heart problems. It could save you life as it did mine.